Member Security and Fraud Prevention
IH Credit Union would like to remind you that you can improve your ATM banking security by following the simple guidelines presented below each time you conduct an ATM transaction.
Keep your ATM/Debit card secure.
- Treat your card like cash and protect it at all times.
- Do not lend your card to anyone.
- After making an ATM withdrawal, be sure to take your card with you.
- Be sure to take your receipt and verify it against your monthly statement.
- Report a lost or stolen card immediately. Call (800) 472-3273 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week or if you are traveling outside the US call (973) 682-2652.
Keep your Personal Identification Number (PIN) confidential.
- Do not share your PIN with anyone, not even once.
- Do not write your PIN on the card or card sleeve.
- Do not store the PIN with your card, in your wallet or in your purse.
- Do not allow anyone else to enter your PIN for you.
- Stand between the ATM or terminal and anyone waiting to use the machine so that others can not see your PIN or transaction amount.
Personal Security at ATMs.
- If you are driving to a walk-up ATM, park closely to the ATM and observe the entire ATM area before leaving the safety of your car.
- If an ATM is obstructed from view or poorly lit, go to another ATM and report the problem to that financial institution.
- If you are waiting to use a drive-up ATM, keep your engine running, doors locked, windows up and enough room between cars to allow for a quick exit.
- If you are using a drive-up ATM, observe the entire ATM area before rolling down the window of your car to use the ATM.
- If the ATM is in use, allow the person to step or drive away from the ATM before you approach the machine.
- When possible, take a companion along when using an ATM at night.
- Do not allow a stranger to help you make a transaction.
- Minimize the time spent at the ATM by having your card ready to use, and by counting the money after you have left the ATM.
- If you see anyone or anything suspicious while conducting a transaction, cancel your transaction and leave immediately.
- If anyone follows you after making an ATM transaction, go immediately to a crowded, well-lit area and call the police.