Keep your account safe!
Assisting our members in staying safe and secure is a top priority for us. Equifax recently announced hackers gained access to the personal information of over 143 million U.S. consumers. If you haven’t already, visit www.equifaxsecurity2017.com to learn if your information has been compromised.
How can you protect yourself?
Monitoring your credit and personal information are both crucial to protecting yourself from becoming a victim of fraud or stolen identity.
You can also take these steps to help protect yourself:
- Set alerts with the three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) to receive notifications of fraud on your accounts
- Reset your financial account login information
- Review all account statements and credit reports carefully
- Watch out for fake emails or websites asking for personal information (phishing scams)
- Set up and manage spending alerts in Online Banking
- Report any suspicious activity to us or your other financial institution(s) and gov
- Monitor your personal information and credit report at annualcreditreport.com
- Enroll in a credit monitoring service
Whether or not you are impacted by this breach, hacking incidents and phishing emails are becoming more prevalent in today’s world. It’s important you stay alert and on top of your accounts to minimize risk.
Watch out for email scams.
IHCU has recently become aware of an email scam that may be targeting our members. If you receive an email that claims to be from IHCU, there are three main ways you can tell whether it’s real or a scam:
- Does the email use the correct name for the credit union, IH Credit Union? Emails using our old name, (International Harvester Employee Credit Union) or some other version of our name, are fake.
- Does the email come from someone with an email address at ihcreditunion.com (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org)? We will never send email from a different domain name (for example, email@example.com). Scammers also might fake the address to make the email look like it’s from someone you know.
- Does the email ask you to click a link leading to some other website? If we send you an email with a link, it will always lead back to our website, www.ihcreditunion.com. We will never use our old website address, ihecu.com.
- Look for other clues – is the email trying to create a false sense of urgency, is it missing important details, or are the grammar and spelling suspect? These are all clues it’s not legitimate. If you’re not sure, please call us or get in contact directly.
If you receive an email that looks like it might be a scam, do not click any of the links and do not call any phone numbers in the email. Delete the email or mark it as spam. If you’re not sure, or if you accidentally clicked a link or entered information on another website, please call IH Credit Union immediately:
Telephone: (800)576-IHCU or (937)390-1800